Texas defensive driving online course material used to be something that didn’t exist at all. If someone wanted to take a Texas certified defensive driving class, they had to find a classroom and look for a time and place that were convenient, or as convenient as possible, to their schedule. It was cumbersome and inconvenient.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) has since changed these regulations, and they now allow TEA approved defensive driving classes that are taken over the Internet rather than in a classroom.
What are some of the reasons that someone might take a Texas defensive driving online course? There are several.
1. Ticket dismissal. If a person receives a moving violation, they may be able to have their ticket dismissed by taking defensive driving.
2. Point reduction. If someone has points on their license due to a traffic infraction, they may a course in miracles be able to have some of the points removed if they can prove that they’ve taken a Texas certified defensive driving course.
3. Court order. The judge can order a violator to take traffic school simply as a component of the sentence handed down in court.
4. Employment. In some cases, a job requires some driving but it is not a “driving job” in the sense that they will be doing nothing but driving. They don’t require fleet training, but the employer may require their employees to take a defensive driving class before the start of employment or periodically during the term of employment.
5. Insurance discount. There are auto insurance providers who give a discount on insurance premiums if their policyholders take defensive driving classes. This varies by insurance provider.
6. Driver refresher training. Some drivers simply want to be sure that they are aware of the latest laws and up to speed on the techniques that the experts say are the best way to be a safer, more defensive driver. They aren’t taking the training because they are required to, but because they feel it will make them more able to prevent a collision with another driver.
Whatever the reason for taking a course in defensive driving, providers such as National Driver Safety Services (NDSS) have made it more convenient than ever to complete the material through a web-based program rather than going into an old-style classroom. These online programs are the newest way to satisfy requirements in defensive driving.
With NDSS, everything the user does is from their home, even taking the final exam. In some cases students must find a proctor for the final exam even for online courses, but this particular provider allows students to use a verification system to prove their identity without going to a testing center in person. They even deliver the certificate through the mail, so that students are able to do everything from home. It is a convenient method for completing a course that was once a chore.